Meftal Spas Tablet is an antispasmodic and it may be used for treating a particular kind of intestinal health problem known as irritable bowels syndrome. Meftal Spas helps in reducing the intestinal as well as stomach cramping symptoms. It is a well known painkiller and muscle relaxant which is also prescribed for curing menstrual pain, muscle cramps, heavy menstrual bleeding, fever and headache. Meftal Spas is known to belong to the category of painkillers known as NSAID medicines.
Meftal Spas works by making down the natural movements of the gut slow and there by relaxing the intestine and stomach muscles. This tablet helps to block the effect associated with natural substances which are known as Cyclooxygenase (COX) enzymes. Prostaglandins, which are other type of chemicals are then made by these enzymes. Meftal Spas Medicine also blocks the release of some chemical messengers which cause pain, fever and inflammation. This tablet may also be prescribed or advised by the your doctor if you have any of the following health condition : osteoarthritis, post-operative pain, myalgia (muscle pain), rheumatoid arthritis and arthralgia (joint pain).
Uses and Benefits
Meftal Spas Composition include Dicyclomine and Mefenamic Acid. Dicyclomine helps relax the gastrointestinal tract muscles in the intestines and stomach and gives you relief in Cramps, Bloating, Chronic Abdominal pain and Discomfort. Mefenamic Acid helps to reduce menstrual pain, Rheumatoid Arthritis (autoimmune disease which leads to chronic inflammation in the joints of muscles), Myalgia (muscle pain which is due to muscle joints overstretching), Post-operative pain (laparoscopy etc.) and fever. Check out the Meftal Spas use and associated benefits given below.
Meftal Spas Uses and Meftal Spas benefits are to prevent, control, improve and treat various health conditions like:
- Dysmenorrhea (Menstrual Cramps)
- Abdominal and stomach pain
- Heavy Menstrual bleeding (Meftal spas reduces bleeding caused due in menstruation period)
- Bowel movements which are discomforting
- Muscle and stomach Inflammation
- Headaches due to migraine
- Fever chills and pain
- Analgesic (Muscle pain and cramps anywhere in the body like toothache, headache, Rheumatoid Arthritis, arthritis, Myalgia etc.) can also be used to treat with Meftal Spas
It is a very common practice in Indian women to take Meftal Spas during periods. Some doctors might also suggest you Meftal Spas for headache which is severe in nature like during Migraine. After reading this above points, you may be now be knowing what is Meftal Spas tablet used for.
Meftal Spas Side Effects include a lot of anticholinergic side effects like blurred vision, dry mouth, weakness, dizziness, dry eyes and abdominal bloating. Higher Meftal Spas Dosage can cause severe side effects such as irregular heartbeat, loss of coordination, decreased sweating, mood changes, flushed skin, decreased sexual ability and difficulty urinating.
It may be noted that side effects of Meftal Spas are dependent on dose. If taken for a short time, Meftal Spas tablet does not have any major side effects.
To many extents, Meftal Spas side effects are dose dependent. This drug does not lead to any serious effects if taken for a short time. However, if you use this tablet for longer span, it may have certain side effects like:
- Infections likes rashes and swelling on the skin like Edema and Urticaria.
- Drowsiness, Visual Disturbances and Nausea.
- Meftal Spas may also cause Acid Reflux thereby causing Gastritis and Acidity.
- Meftal Spas may also lead to Diarrhoea or constipation.
- Meftal Spas may also adversely affect the Renal Function (kidney function) and Liver Enzymes.
- Abdominal pain, Dry mouth and vomiting.
Meftal Spas Dose is mostly decided by pain severity. Normally 2 to 3 times dosage of Meftal Spas is quite effective and in major pain or severe conditions, higher dosage may be recommended by the doctor. An important point to note is that Meftal Spas Dosage must not be taken empty stomach as it contains NSAID which causes acidity. Therefore, it is always advised to take this medicine after your meals.
Overdosage : Taking Meftal Spas overdose may lead to severe side effects. You may need to get in touch with your doctor in case you find any side effects.
Missing Dosage : In case you miss a dosage of Meftal Spas, you must take is as soon as possible. However, if it is almost near to the next dose, you must skip the missed dose and carry on with the regular dosage. We strictly recommend you not to take extra doses.
Pregnancy : Meftal Spas during pregnancy is not recommended until and unless it is necessary and the benefits of taking the medicine outweighs the involved risks with it. Meftal Spas usually does not cause any harm to the fetus, however it is still advised to be used after you consult your doctor.
Breastfeeding : Meftal Spas during breastfeeding is considered to be safe. You should still consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
This is all about the Meftal Spas tablet dosage. Let us now check out its price.
Meftal Spas Tablet MRP (Maximum Retail Price) – Rs.36 (10 Tablets in 1 Strip).
Meftal Spas Price per tablet – Rs.8.27/tablet
After checking the Price of Meftal Spas tablet, let us check out its composition.
Let us now check out the Composition of Meftal Spas. Meftal Spas content include the following ingredients (salts):
- Dicycloverine or Dicyclomine 10 mg
- Mefenamic Acid 250 mg
Dicyclomine is an anticholinergic which works by keeping the muscles of the gut (intestine) and stomach relaxed. It also helps in stopping sudden muscle contractions (known as spasms). In this way, it helps in relieving cramps, bloating, pain and discomfort. Mefenamic acid is a well known non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) which works by blocking the release of some chemical messengers which cause inflammation (swelling and redness) and pain.
This is all about the Meftal Spas Salt or compostion, let us now know about its substitutes.
Here is the list of Meftal Spas Substitute medicines which have same strength, composition as well as form as that that of Meftal Spas Tablet.
- Spascrush M 10 Mg/250 Mg Tablet (Montana Remedies)
- Dcmol M Tablet (Unison Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd)
- Intaspas Tablet (Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd)
- Spasmonil Plus Tablet (Cipla Ltd)
- Mefkind-Spas Tablet (Mankind Pharma Ltd)
- Mefnum Spas 10 Mg/250 Mg Tablet (Vintage Labs Pvt Ltd)
- Speedex-Spas Tablet (Pharmasynth Formulations Ltd)
- Colimex MF 10 mg/250 mg Tablet (Wallace Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd)
- Cyclopam MF 10mg/250mg Tablet (Indoco Remedies Ltd)
- Spasmofirst Tablet (Wockhardt Ltd)
- Swispas M 10 Mg/250 Mg Tablet (Ind Swift Laboratories Ltd)
Every time you take more than one tablet, or you mix it with certain beverages or foods, you might be at a risk of a drug interaction.
Some of the most important interactions of Meftal Spas Tablets are :
- Concomitant administration with Aspirin will have synergistic effects which might worsen the side effect profile of any one of the drugs.
- The Anti-hypertensive effects of ACE inhibitors are diminished by Mefenamic acid
- Mefenamic Acid increases the Methotrexate toxicity as it elevates the Lithium levels in blood
- Some patients might notice lowering of sodium excretory effect of a few types of diuretics like thiazides and furosemide
- The risk associated Gut bleeding is a lot higher as soon as Mefenamic acid is mixed along with warfarin, than using these drugs singly or alone.
- Absorption of Dicyclomine is reduced in antacids’ presence, while it can interfere itself in the absorption process of forms of drugs that dissolved slowly such as Digoxin, wherein quite high levels of the drug may result.
- Meftal spas may also antagonize the effects of gut motility agents such as anti glaucoma drugs and metoclopramide.
Precautions and How to Use
Before you start taking Meftal Spas, you must inform your doctor about your current medications list, over the counter products (like herbal supplements, vitamins etc.), any pre-existing diseases, allergies and your current health conditions(like any upcoming surgery, pregnancy etc.). Some of the health conditions might make you a lot more susceptible to the drug’s side effects. You must take the tablet as advised by the doctor. Doctor will decide the dosage based on your current health condition. You must inform your doctor if you condition worsens or persists. Some of the important points for counseling are:
- You must not operate any machinery or drive as this drug might cause blurred vision or drowsiness
- Have hepatic and renal impairment
- Overdosage of Meftal Spas might lead to paralysis or muscular weakness
- Patients suffering from autonomic neuropathy
- Patients suffering from cardiac tachyarrhythmia
- Patients suffering from congestive heart failure
- Patients suffering from coronary heart disease
- Patients suffering from hepatic or renal disease
- Patients suffering from hiatal hernia
- Patients suffering from hypertension
This is all about Meftal Spas usage and precautions.
Action and Related Warnings
There are a few Actions and related warnings you must consider while taking it :
Alcohol : Mefenamic acid is one of the components of Meftal Spas and if you are taking Mefenamic acid with alcohol, it will increase stomach bleeding risk.
Pregnancy : Meftal Spas Tablet tablet during pregnancy may be unsafe to take. Some of the animal studies have shown ill effects on the foetus, but there are not many human studies on this. The benefits of using this tablet in pregnant women might be acceptable inspite of the risk associated with it. Please consult your doctor to get to know more about Meftal Spas use in Pregnancy.
Lactaction : Meftal-Spas Tablet is may be considered unsafe to use during lactation. A few human data show that the drug may cause a significant risk to the baby.
Driving : Meftal-Spas Tablet might affect your vision or make you feel drowsy or dizzy. You must not drive until and unless your vision is clear.
Kidney : In patients with kidney disease, Meftal Spas tablet must be taken with extra caution. In such cases, a dose adjustment of Meftal-Spas Tablet may be suggested by the doctor. Please get in touch with your doctor for the same. Patients withsevere kidney disease are not recommended to take Meftal-Spas Tablet.
Liver : In patients with Liver disease, Meftal-Spas Tablet must be taken with extra caution. For such patients, an adjustment of Meftal-Spas Tablet dose may be required. Please consult your doctor for the same.